- B.A., Aquinas College
- M.A., University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
Persuasion, discrete emotion, health behavior, message design and effects, health campaigns, tobacco messaging, health disparities, experimental design, causal inference
- Skurka, C., Niederdeppe, J., Romero-Canyas, R., & Acup, D. (Accepted). Pathways of influence in emotional appeals: Benefits and tradeoffs of using fear or humor to promote climate change activism and environmentally sustainable behavior. Journal of Communication.
- Byrne, S., Greiner Safi, A., Kemp, D., Skurka, C., Davydova, J., Scolere, L.,...Niederdeppe, J. (In press). Testing alternatives to the originally proposed FDA graphic warning labels: A randomized experiment with socioeconomically disadvantaged middle school youth. Health Communication.
- Niederdeppe, J., Kellogg, M., Skurka, C., & Avery, R. (2017). Market-level exposure to state antismoking media campaigns and public support for tobacco control policy in the United States, 2001-2002. Tobacco Control.
- Quick, B. L., LaVoie, N. R., Reynolds-Tylus, T., Martinez-Gonzalez, A., & Skurka, C. (2017). An examination of the underlying mechanisms of fear-control processing: An extension of the Extended Parallel Process Model. Health Communication. doi:10.1080/10410236.2016.1266738
- Skurka, C. (2017). Communicating inequalities to enhance support for obesity-prevention policies: The role of social comparisons, age frames, and emotions. Health Communication.
- Skurka, C., Kemp, D., Davydova, Y., Thrasher, J., Byrne, S., Greiner Safi, A.,…Niederdeppe, J. (2017). Effects of cigarette pack graphic warning label size on visual attention, negative affect, and smoking-related intentions among disadvantaged populations. Nicotine & Tobacco Research. doi:10.1093/ntr/ntx244