Geri Gay Professor of Communication
484 Mann Library Building
Awards and Honors
- Best Article Award (with Paul M. Leonardi) (2018) Academy of Management Discoveries
- Outstanding (Published) Article Award (with Paul M. Leonardi) (2017) National Communication Association, Organizational Communication Division
- Best Published Paper (with Paul M. Leonardi and Jan Chong) (2011) Academy of Management, Organizational Communication and Information Systems Division
- Best Paper Award (with Pamela J. Hinds) (2000) Academy of Management, Organizational Communication and Information Systems Division
- CAREER Program Award, Design, Manufacture, and Industrial Innovation Directorate (1997) National Science Foundation
- Leonardi, P. M., Bailey, D., & Pierce, C. S. (2019). The Coevolution of Objects and Boundaries over Time: Materiality, Affordances, and Boundary Salience. Information Systems Research. 30:665-686.
- Bailey, D., Diniz, E. H., Nardi, B. A., Leonardi, P. M., & Sholler, D. (2018). A critical approach to human helping in information systems: Heteromation in the Brazilian correspondent banking system. Information and Organization. 28:111-128.
- Leonardi, P. M., & Bailey, D. (2017). Recognizing and Selling Good Ideas: Network Articulation and the Making of an Offshore Innovation Hub. ACADEMY OF MANAGEMENT DISCOVERIES. 3:116-144.
- Leonardi, P. M., Bailey, D., Diniz, E. H., Sholler, D., & Nardi, B. (2016). Multiplex Appropriation In Complex Systems Implementation: The Case of Brazil's Correspondent Banking System. MIS Querterly. 40:461-473.
- Bailey, D., Leonardi, P. M., & Barley, S. R. (2012). The Lure of The Virtual. Organization Science. 23:1213-1522.
- Barley, W. C., Leonardi, P. M., & Bailey, D. (2012). Engineering Objects for Collaboration: Strategies of Ambiguity and Clarity at Knowledge Boundaries. Human Communication Research. 38:280-308.
- Bailey, D., Leonardi, P. M., & Chong, J. (2010). Minding the Gaps: Understanding Technology Interdependence and Coordination in Knowledge Work. Organization Science. 21:713-730.
- Leonardi, P. M., & Bailey, D. (2008). Transformational technologies and the creation of new work practices: Making implicit knowledge explicit in task-based offshoring. MIS QUARTERLY. 32:411-436.
- Hinds, P. J., & Bailey, D. (2003). Out of Sight, Out of Sync: Understanding Conflict in Distributed Teams. Organization Science. 14:615-758.
- Bailey, D., & Leonardi, P. (2015). Technology Choices: Why Occupations Differ in Their Embrace of New Technology. p. 288 Acting With Technology Series Nardi, B.A.; Kaptelinin, V.; Foot.K Series Editors (ed.), MIT Press.
Presentations and Activities
- How scholars of technology, work, and organization should study intelligent technologies. 11th International Symposium on Process Organization Studies. June 2019. 11th International Symposium on Process Organization Studies. Chania, Crete, Greece.
- Why organizational scholars of technology and work should attend to the "should" question of artificial intelligence and the future of work. 20th IESE International Symposium on Ethics, Business and Society. 2018. IESE. Barcelona, Spain.
- 2017. Department of Information Science distinguished lecture, University of Colorado Boulder. Boulder, CO.
- 2017. Information Systems Management Group, Warwick Business School, University of Warwick. England.
- Research Methods for Digital Work: Innovative Methods for Studying Distributed and Multi-Modal Working Practices conference. Research Methods for Digital Work: Innovative Methods for Studying Distributed and Multi-Modal Working Practices conference. 2017. University of Surrey. England.
- Big data technology implementations: structural, agential, and social influences on organizational outcomes. 32nd EGOS Colloquium. 2016. European Group for Organizational Studies. University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy.
- Lost in object translation: Coordination in distributed auto engineering and graphic design work. 32nd EGOS Colloquium. 2016. European Group for Organizational Studies. University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy.
- De Lange Conference on Humans, Machines and the Future of Work. De Lange Conference on Humans, Machines and the Future of Work. 2016. Rice University. Houston, TX.
- 2013. Desautels Faculty of Management, McGill University. Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
- 2012. School of Business Administration, Fundacao Getulio Vargas (FGV). Sao Paulo, Brazil.