Professor McLeod is Professor and Chair of the Department of Communication at Cornell University. She earned her Master's and Ph.D. degrees in Social Psychology from Harvard University, and her B.S. in Psychology from Syracuse University. Prior to joining the Communication faculty at Cornell, Professor McLeod taught in the Business Schools of Case Western Reserve University, University of Iowa and University of Michigan.
Communication and decision making in task-oriented groups; teamwork in virtual environments; the role of social influence in group communication; intergroup dynamics.
Group communication and decision-making; social influence; intergroup communication; research methods
- McLeod, P. L. (2013). An Experiential Learning Approach to an Undergraduate Course in Group Communication and Decision-Making. Small Group Research. 44:360-380.
- McLeod, P. L. (2013). Distributed People and Distributed Information: Vigilant Decision-Making in Virtual Teams. Small Group Research. 44:627-657.
- Bazarova, N., Walther, J. B., & McLeod, P. L. (2012). Minority Influence in Virtual Groups: A Comparison of Four Theories of Minority Influence. Communication Research. 39:295-316.
- Lu, L., Yuan, Y., & McLeod, P. L. (2012). Twenty-Five Years of Hidden Profile Studies: A Meta-Analysis. Personality and Social Psychology Review. 16:54-75.
- Hart, R. K., & McLeod, P. L. (2003). Rethinking Team Building in Geographically Dispersed Teams: One Message at a Time. Organizational Dynamics. 31:352-361.
- Durham, C., Poon, J., Locke, E. A., & McLeod, P. L. (2000). Effects of Group Goals and Time Pressure on Group Efficacy, Information-Seeking Strategy, and Performance. Human Performance. 13:115-138.
- McLeod, P. L., Baron, R. S., Marti, M., & Yoon, K. (1997). The Eyes Have It: Minority Influence in Face-To-Face and Computer-Mediated Group Discussion. Journal of Applied Psychology. 706-718.
- McLeod, P. L., & Leshed, G. (2011). As Long as They Don't Know Where I Live: Information Disclosure Strategies for Managing Identity in Second Life. p. 191-211 Reinventing Ourselves: Contemporary Concepts of Identity in Virtual Worlds A. Peachy & M. Childs (ed.), Routledge, London, UK.
Presentations and Activities
- Group norm violations in an online environmental social network: Effects on impression formation and intergroup judgments. Society for Personality and Social Psychology. March 2018. SPSP. Atlanta, GA.
- The "Improv" Lab: more than just science. Institute of Food Technologists Annual Conference. July 2015. Institute of Food Technologists. Chicago, IL.