- B.A., Xiamen University
- M.A., Tsinghua University
- M.S., Cornell University
Interaction, structure, and micro-foundations of group-related social processes, particularly solidarity and hierarchy; Computational social science; Quantitative methods for causal inference.
- Emotional “group talk”: a communication logic for self-organized solidarity among National Football League fans on Twitter
- Unveiling technological effects over multilevel social processes in CMC groups: A social relations analysis framework and empirical example
- Liao, W., McComas, K. A., & Yuan, Y. C. (in press) The influence of unrestricted information exchange on willingness to share risk information with outsiders. Human Communication Research. DOI:10.1111/hcre.12104
- Thoemmes, F., Liao, W., & Jin, Z. (in press) The analysis of the regression-discontinuity design in R. Journal of Educational and Behavioral Statistics.
- Liao, W., Bazarova, N. N., & Yuan, Y. (2016) Expertise perception and communication accommodation in linguistic styles in computer-mediated and face-to-face Groups. Communication Research. DOI: 10.1177/0093650215626974
- Liao, W., Yuan, Y., & McComas, K. (2016) Communal risk information sharing: Motivations behind voluntary information sharing of late blight infection in U.S. agricultural communities. Communication Research. DOI: 10.1177/0093650215626981 (Top 2 faculty paper of the CommSHER Division at the 2015 annual conference of AEJMC)
- Liao, W. MacDonald, P., & Yuan, Y. (2016) The impact of communication behaviors on expertise recognition in intercultural collaboration. In J. Treem & P. Leonardi (Eds.), Communication, Expertise, and Organizing. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press
- Margolin, D., Liao, W., & Lin, Y.-R. (2015) Conversing in Reflective Glory: A Systematic Study Using National Football League Games. ICWSM’15
- Theommes, F. & Liao, W. (2014) The Markov Equivalence class of the Mediation. Paper presented at the 2014 Model. Modern Modeling Method Conference. Storrs, Connecticut.