I teach and conduct research in the area of organizational communication. Specially, I am interested in studying knowledge management through the development of social capital, and the adoption and usage of information and communication technology. My ultimate goal is to integrate findings from organizational behavior and information systems, and to develop and test new social science theories that advance our understanding of knowledge management.
Awards and Honors
- Second Runner-up for Best Published Paper (2014) Organizational Communication and Information Systems Division, Academy of Management Annual Conference
- Inclusion in Best Papers Proceedings (2010) Academy of Management 2010 Annual Conference
- Liao, W., Yuan, Y., & McComas, K. A. (2016). Communal risk information sharing: Motivations behind voluntary information sharing for reducing interdependent risks in a community. Communication Research.
- Liao, W., McComas, K. A., & Yuan, Y. (2016). The influence of unrestricted information exchange on willingness to share risk information with outsiders. Human Communication Research.
- Neff, J., Fulk, J., & Yuan, Y. (2014). Not in the mood? Affective state and transactive communication. Journal of Communication. 64:785-805.
- Yuan, Y., Carboni, I., & Ehrlich, K. (2014). The impact of affective relationships and awareness on expertise retrieval: A multilevel network perspective on transactive memory theory. European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology. 23:554-569.
- Bazarova, N., & Yuan, Y. (2013). Expertise recognition and influence in intercultural groups: Differences between face-to-face and computer-mediated communication. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication. 18:437-453.
- Yuan, Y., Bazarova, N., Fulk, J., & Zhang, Z. (2013). Recognition of expertise and perceived influence in intercultural group collaboration. Journal of Communication. 63:476-497.
- Fulk, J., & Yuan, Y. (2013). The adoption and usage of social networking tools to support knowledge sharing in contemporary organizations. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication. 19:20-37.
- Meng, J., Fulk, J., & Yuan, Y. (2013). The Roles and Interplay of Intragroup Conflict and Team Emotion Management on Information Seeking Behaviors in Team Contexts. Communication Research.
- Yuan, Y., Zhao, X., Liao, Q., & Chi, C. (2013). The usage of different information and communication technologies to support knowledge sharing in organizations: From email to micro-blogging. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology. 64:1659-1670.
- Yuan, Y., Carboni, I., & Ehrlich, K. (2010). The impact of awareness, social accessibility and media multiplexity on expertise retrieval. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology. 61:700-714.
Presentations and Activities
- The adoption and usage of social networking tools to support knowledge sharing in contemporary organizations. Organization Science Winter Conference. February 2012. Academy of Management. Steamboat, CO.
- One University, Two Campuses. iConference 2012. February 2012. Toronto, ON, Canada.
- The effects of culture and technology on expertise recognition in group decision making. INGRoup 2011 Annual Conference. July 2011. INGroup. Minneapolis, MI.
- The impact of interpersonal affective relationships and awareness on expertise-seeking: A multilevel network investigation. INGRoup 2011 Annual Conference. July 2011. INGroup. Minneapolis, MI.