I teach and conduct research in the area of organizational communication and intercultural communication. Specially, I am interested in studying knowledge management through the development of social capital, and the adoption and usage of information and communication technology. My recent research has focused on examining how differences in communication styles may influence the effectiveness of intercultural collaboration and expertise sharing.
Awards and Honors
- Dennis Gouran Research Award (2016) Group Communication Division of National Communication Association 2016 Annual Conference
- Fellow of the Institute of Social Sciences (2015) Cornell University
- Inclusion in AoM Best Papers Proceedings (2015) Gender and Diversity in Organizations Division, Academy of Management 75th Annual Conference
- Second Best Faculty Paper (2015) CommSHER Division, AEJMC Annual Conference
- Top Student-led Paper (2015) Gender and Diversity in Organizations Division, Academy of Management 75th Annual Conference
- Yuan, Y., Liao, W., & Bazarova, N. (2019). Communication styles and expertise recognition in intercultural collaboration.
- Liao, W., Bazarova, N., & Yuan, Y. (2018). Expertise judgment and communication accommodation in computer-mediated and face-to-face groups. Communication Research. 48:1122-1145.
- Liao, W., Yuan, Y., & McComas, K. A. (2018). Communal risk information sharing: Motivations behind voluntary information sharing for reducing interdependent risks in a community. Communication Research. 45:909-933.
- Liao, W., Bazarova, N. N., & Yuan, Y. (2018). Unpacking medium effects on social psychological processes in computer-mediated communication using the social relations model. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication. 23:90-106.
- Li, H., Yuan, Y., Bazarova, N. N., & Bell, B. (2018). Talk and let talk: The effects of language proficiency on speaking up and competence perceptions in multinational teams. Group & Organization Management. 1-37.
- Liao, W., McComas, K. A., & Yuan, Y. (2016). The influence of unrestricted information exchange on willingness to share risk information with outsiders. Human Communication Research. 43:256-275.
- Neff, J., Fulk, J., & Yuan, Y. (2014). Not in the mood? Affective state and transactive communication. Journal of Communication. 64:785-805.
- Yuan, Y., Carboni, I., & Ehrlich, K. (2014). The impact of affective relationships and awareness on expertise retrieval: A multilevel network perspective on transactive memory theory. European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology. 23:554-569.
- Fulk, J., & Yuan, Y. (2013). The adoption and usage of social networking tools to support knowledge sharing in contemporary organizations. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication. 19:20-37.
- Fulk, J., & Yuan, Y. (2017). Social construction of communication technology. International encyclopedia of organizational communication T. Kuhn (ed.),.
Presentations and Activities
- Public opinion toward China’s coal-to-gas conversion policy: The role of social motivations. ICA 2019 Annual Conference. 2019. International Communication Association.
- Sharing fake news on social media: Understanding the relationship between believe and share. ICA 2019 Annual Conference. 2019. International Communication Association.
- Brainstorming on ESNS: Motivations and the decision-making processes. ICA 2018 Annual Conference. May 2018. International Communication Association. Prague.
- The moderation effect of group transactive memory systems on the relationship between group conflict and creativity. ICA 2018 Annual Conference. May 2018. International Communication Association. Prague.